Painting in Guache by Cathy Lynch

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Me and My Dystonia

This is a blog describing my trials, my journal about living with Dystonia.  I created this painting to help explain to others what exactly I was, am still feeling.  It is so difficult for others to understand what I, and others like me are going through because to them we still look the same.  No one at Yoga or at my Ballet class would ever guess there was anything wrong with me.  Yet, if I go out for dinner or sit for any length of time, I cannot walk away from the table without assistance.  I cannot walk around a mall.  I cannot sit through the theatre or movie.  I cannot fly in excess of 3 hours without assistance.  I cannot sit in a car in excess of an hour without laying down in the backseat.  I cannot get my hair cut unless I wash it at home and they do not comb and blow it dry.  My hair is almost to my waist.  I had to buy a new bicycle that let me sit perfectly upright.  I can no longer work.  I was an accountant from the age of 17 but sitting at a desk or leaning over a computer is no longer possible.  I type this on a laptop actually placed on my lap as I lay down with my feet up.  My life has changed dramatically and I and my family have had to adjust.  I am in pain almost constantly.  Pain is just a part of life now.  I have sudden bursts of energy, but it is costly.  I pay for it in long periods of fatigue where I can do nothing but lay on the couch and watch movies.  I used to be so athletic and so full of energy.  I was invincible or at least I thought so......
Here is my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment