Painting in Guache by Cathy Lynch

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

An Answer At Last

We called a private medical services office here in Toronto and asked if they were taking any new patients.  Just in the process of getting their practice up and running, were happy to see me the following day.  No wait.  It was a Thursday morning in September 2009 now, my husband and I arrived on my new doctor's doorstep.  He met with us and discussed my case for as long we wanted.  He watched, he listened, he asked questions.  By now, I was stuttering, my voice was slurred, my head and upper body were bobbing, I was dragging my right leg.  He gave me a prescription on a trial basis to see if it had any effect.  He set up a date for a formal checkup the following week, but was going to go ahead and order an MRI as soon as possible.  We left breathing a sigh of relief, someone finally cared.  I received an email first thing on Monday morning.  He had spent the better part of his weekend researching my case. "I think this is what you might possibly be facing".  It was a link to Cervical Dystonia.  I read it, but decided he was wrong.  This was not acceptable.  I emailed back that I was sure I just had a pinched nerve in my neck.  There must be a slipped disc or some easy fix.  Just take a pill or another surgery and it would all be over.  That Wednesday, I received a phone call.  There had been a cancellation, if possible could I make an MRI appointment within the hour?  No problem, I was ready.  I was not ready for the results.  They were normal.  There was nothing physically wrong with my neck that would cause all my current symptoms.  My Doctor was also referring me to a Neurologist, two in fact.  Because of my initial reaction, he would also refer me to an Orthopedic Surgeon to look at my neck and MRI results to see if anything had been missed.  He also referred me to Dr. Ko, Integrative Medicine in Markham to get his opinion.  My first appointment was with Dr. Ko.  He examined my neck and said it was three fingers out of line with my shoulders.  He agreed with the Cervical Dystonia diagnosis and suggested an integrative approach.  He would do Botox injections in the muscles surrounding my neck but also wanted me to see a Naturopath out of the same office and recommended a Physiotherapist close to my home.  As I had pending appointments with Neurologists as well, he decided to hold off on the Botox until they had a chance to see me first.  The first Neurologist specialized in both Dystonia and Parkinsons.  He spent almost an hour examining me and talking with both my husband and I.  He said my symptoms were not typical of Dystonia and did not believe it to be a proper diagnosis.  My head bobs forward and back, up and down instead of locking to one side.  He said I definitely did not show signs of Parkinson's either.  We left his office wondering what next.  I called my new Doctor and he said to wait until I saw the other Neurologist, he was still certain of his diagnosis.  I didn't have to wait long, within three months I had managed to get in to see two Neurologists, Dr. Ko, have an MRI and unfortunately another EMG.  Neurologist number two examined me, watched me walk, did an EMG and suggested maybe it might be Parkinsons, however he was going to refer me to the Movement Disorders Clinic at the Toronto Western Hospital for their opinion.  This he told me as I was being zapped with electricity up and down my limbs during the EMG.  I couldn't concentrate on what he was saying.  How can you think, respond, ask questions while bolts of electricity are being surged through your body by a technician at the same time he is administering your life sentence.  Again, he said, my symptoms weren't typical of Cervical Dystonia.  My husband and I got in the car to drive home from the hospital and I finally broke down and cried again.  My Grandmother had been diagnosed with Parkinson's when she was 55 year of age and died when I was eight years old.  I couldn't imagine it could happen to me.  You know, the typical selfish "Why Me?".  I called my Doctor from the car and he said he would see me immediately before we drove any further.  We went into his office and I explained the whole Neurologist appointment, treatment, diagnosis and fear.  He said he was still convinced it was Dystonia, not Parkinsons, not a slipped disc in my neck or anything else.  He said he would push to move up my appointment with the Movement Disorders Clinic immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment