Painting in Guache by Cathy Lynch

Friday, January 20, 2012

Art and Healing from Within

Off work now and in between the various appointments, I decided to start drawing and painting again.  In the early fall of 2010 my husband and I drove around Richmond Hill following an art tour.  We visited the homes of a few artists and also the Mill Pond Art Gallery.  I spoke to one local artist, Valerie Kent, and decided to take some private classes from her at my home.  I was self conscious about wearing a neck brace to paint and was just more comfortable in my own home so every Monday evening she would bring all her art supplies and we would paint in the kitchen and share a few laughs.  I found it very therapeutic, and she taught me everything she could in a couple of hours a week.  I loved it and wanted to know more.  I decided to put a portfolio together and apply at York University and OCADU for the fall 2011 on a part time basis, no more than 2 classes per week.  I received an acceptance from both by the end of February.  Wow, was I excited.  It was something I could do either standing, sitting, walking around, and on my own timetable.  I only worked at it when I was feeling up to it.  There were no pressures, no deadlines.  I could put on some music and just feel free to express myself however I wanted.  It was something I could actually do, even with Dystonia.  To test my capabilities of being able to withstand going to a classroom situation, I decided to take a class from Stephen Yau, another artist from Richmond Hill.  This time I went to his home on Thursday mornings and am still participating in watercolour classes at this time.  I can manage 2 or 3 hours without too much discomfort and have only missed a few classes so far.  The trial for me will be the drive back and forth from OCAD downtown to Richmond Hill.  I will see how I manage, knowing my daughter lives just down the street gives me some comfort as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment